Three days after their fine win over Somerset the Development XI was at Torquay to play their Gloucestershire equivalents. The half term weather was generally good but the Wednesday was the one disappointment and the Wednesday was the day of this match! It was cold and drizzle was in the air and not the most conducive day for cricket. The visitors were at the ground early but the moisture in the air caused a 30 minute delayed start and the overs were reduced to forty-five overs a side. Devon won the toss and with one change in personnel from Sunday, batted. Devon kept the same top four and they advanced the score to 92 after twenty-three overs. The conditions were more difficult as Jake Pascoe was caught in the fourteenth over, Teddy Haffenden was caught and bowled forty-one balls later and Zach Dunn also put the ball in off the last ball of the twenty-third over. Jack Whittaker was at the crease and was on five. The captain developed his innings well first putting on forty-one with Harry Passenger who was dismissed in the thirtieth over. The fifth wicket partnership proved to be the key one as Whittaker and James Tyler put on ninety in under thirteen overs. Tyler took the opportunity of showing why he should have batted higher on Sunday. It was not subtle but very very effective, clean straight hitting. His strike rate was 102.3 hitting forty-five off forty-four balls (4 fours 2 sixes). His captain gave him the calming support needed. Sammy Broomhead was next in and added a personal fourteen off eight as Devon failed by four runs to enter another score of over 250 in the records. Whittaker was unbeaten on seventy off eighty balls and provided the glue to the innings and showed great competence. Taking into account the conditions this was a most satisfying team effort.

Off spinner Tom Hatton and batting hero. James Tyler, opened up. Hatton bowled his full quota taking one wicket for twenty-four off his nine overs, Tyler’s first four overs went for fifteen but the Gloucestershire openers tore into his fifth over adding another sixteen runs. In the eleventh over Hatton had Hope trapped in front and in the next over new bowler Jeacock had Brooks caught fourth ball by Dunn. At the fall of the second wicket the visitors score was 59-2. Devon chipped away as once again the spoils where shared around. The third wicket added 73 with only one error in another competitive fielding performance. After thirty-two overs the visitors were on 152-3 needing a further ninety-four off the remaining seventy-eight balls – a rate of just over sevens. They needed five and a half at the start. Devon then started to turn the screw as a further four wickets were taken before two hundred was reached. The last three wickets put on forty-two annoying runs as the tail wagged. The fielding at this time was superb with Noah Rider patrolling his boundary brilliantly taking two outstanding catches and running out two more with exceptional throws. Teddy Haffenden took a vital catch as the ball went up and up and came down with ice on it. This was one of three victims for Harry Passenger who took 3-35. Tom Hatton had the most economical figures but the entire side contributed. It is a shame that because of examinations the next fixture is not until early July.